Banana Coconut Bread

I had several frozen bananas in my freezer that I wanted to use up.  I had never thawed out frozen bananas to use for baking before but from what I was able to find searching the Internet this was a common practice.  I didn’t want to make my favorite banana recipe from he Moosewood cookbook because it is just too rich, so I decided to experiment with another option.  I find most banana bread recipes to be almost like eating a piece of cake.  Many of them included sweet spices or walnuts.  I recognized a general framework for the recipes and decided to use coconut instead of notes and to forego the sweet spices.  I was super pleased with the results.




I started off by mixing the bananas, sugar, vanilla and eggs together.   I then added the baking soda and flour.  Lastly I added the melted coconut oil.

  • 2 cups of (thawed, once frozen) bananas 
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
I sprayed a loaf pan with canola oil spray then filled the loaf pan with the batter. I baked the loaf at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick pulled away cleanly.  


Comments

Popular Posts